Monday, July 25, 2005

Religion

Nope, no evangelism or preaching here, not wordly debate about the merits of religion(s) either. Its just that I just came back from this dinner which was supposed held to celebrate the "birthday" of “南海观音” (loosely translated as the Goddess of Mercy of the South Sea; I guess this particularly deity is being called this way because early immigrants came from via the South China Sea, and the Sea is also a particular source of livelihood for sailors and fishermen... not 100% accurate or true...). It's been some time since I had attended this sort of dinner associated with religion and worship. Typically, it involves a 8- or 9-course dinner and a bidding session in midst the dinner, where items like sacks of rice (lots of them), hard liquor (lots of them as well) and lanterns and pendents are auctioned off to the bidder who can afford to pay the highest price ofr the particular item. Seems that pet fishes (or fortune fishes, as the hosts would call them) are the latest additions to the bidding list. Maybe the person who came up with CORS had attended these sort of auctions and liked the concept...

Prior to the dinner, Dear and I went along to West Coast Park to cycle. Went round the park twice, and on our way, we went to the Yacht Club and the place where the newest Toyotas and Suzukis are housed when they arrive on mainland SG. Was quite tired, but quite fun nonetheless... Came home and Mom asked me and Dear to go to the dinner with her, so off we went, together with two of my uncles. Dinner was not bad, with the best dishes being the very fresh fish and the prawn tempura =)

I know I haven blog on the BPGHS anniversary dinner, but that's becos I'm waiting for the group photo to come in. Once that's in, I will post it up yeah...

Signing off.............. I have got to move it, tomorrow..............
RC

No comments:

Post a Comment