Friday, May 12, 2006

In touch with Faith

Don't know whether it's a coincidence or not (today being Vesak Day), but I managed to finish Angels and Demons during these two days; yesterday @ BK near Borders, today @ Ridout Tea Garden (started on Foucault's Pendulum as well, but just a lil' bit) .......

Must say that its potentially more exciting than Da Vinci Code, though I could foresee the objections should it be adapted into a feature film........

Some quotes that set me thinking a lot about myself:

"Faith is universal. Our specific methods for understanding it are arbituary." [pg 134]

"Religion is flawed, but only because man is flawed." [423]

"We all seek God in different ways." [585]

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Set me thinking about my association with religion:

once I advanced into Sec Sch, I no longer followed my mum to temples and stuff, or was present for those once-a-month prayers - school work, ECAs and friends simply took over.....

When Grandma passed away, the once-a-month prayers became a simple ritual; I wasn't required to choose lucky numbers for 4-D or whatever.

No longer attended those Buddhist classes and stuff......

--------------------------------------------------------------------

A question used to plague me - do I (and my family) believe in Taoism or Buddhism? Eventually I came to the conclusion that we practised both forms of religion.......

Do I believe? I'm inclined to think that I don't know enough to believe.......

Perhaps that explains the detachment from my spiritual self........

---------------------------------------------------------------------

The book stirred me, for it raised an awareness within me of the difference between Faith and Religion.

Sort of rejuvenated me to learn more about religions in general, and specifically, the ones I'm born into.........

But well, maybe I'm doing this because I'm currently jobless and unemployed haha.......

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Darn. Nic nicked ahead of me in putting up Impressions of EL Hons 2006.

GRRRRRRRRRR..........

I'll be back with my version.

Signing off....................... Jazz Band vs. Wind Symph later..................
RC

No comments:

Post a Comment